Penguin Cake

Can you believe that in the five years I've been making cakes, that this cake is the first penguin themed creation I've made?! I had a fabulous time making this cake and was pleased with the outcome of the penguin topper. I had the very last minute idea to make a cupcake stand and use that as the holder for the penguin. I made the stand from gumpaste and let it dry, then painted it and sprayed it, and finally gave it a gloss by using a little corn syrup with water.

The cake was for a little girl's birthday celebration and the cake flavors were mint chocolate chip with mint buttercream. The penguin I made with fondant and I used a new brand that I felt took a long time to dry. I textured the front of his body to look like a heart with an arrow through it. The balloons were sugarpaste. One lone snowflake sits between the cupcake stand and the top tier of cake. I finished off the cake with little bows and ribbon at the bottom of each tier.